FloristWare at the 2018 Great Lake Floral Expo
One of the very best events in the floral industry is the GLFE (Great Lakes Floral Expo) hosted each March by the Michigan Floral Association. This year it's the GLFEE (Great Lakes Floral & Event Expo) as they join forces with the International Live Events Association (ILEA) to bring an even better show to their members.
In 2018 FloristWare will be back in Grand Rapids at the GLFEE. We'll be an exhibitor in the trade fair, we're a Gold sponsor, and we're contributing to a couple of different education sessions:
Which Way Are You Headed? Red Flag or Checkered Flag? The Wheel is in Your Hands!
All Day Business Session
Friday March 2, 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
River Overlook Room F
Each year these three presenters work with hundreds of flower shops from all across the country in a professional capacity, but often in a bartender/priest role as well – with owners and managers making confessions they wouldn't to anyone else.
They routinely see new owners with no industry experience enjoy incredible success while seasoned, knowledgeable owners of second and third generation shops lose control and struggle to maintain sales levels they once had. Success in this business can seem almost random.
But, over time, certain patterns become clear. In this session they’ll share the secrets and best practices of the most successful shops, as well as mistakes and red flags that have doomed others.
Topics will include:
- Teach old dogs, new tricks: Help seasoned designers learn that time is money, understand basic markups, and what it takes to make a profit.
- How do I compete with the big box/grocery stores/order gathers.
- How to grow your business in small towns.
- Expectation management and new revenue channels.
- How to turn the next generation into flower buyers, selling to the millennial.
- Internet and social media marketing. (Instagram/Facebook)
- Social media advertising. (Boosting Posts)
- How can I augment my floral sales without a huge inventory investment.
- Learn: Get all of your employees going in the same direction.
- Ideas to motivate, how to build your A-team.
- How to determine when it’s best to use contractors.
- What are the penalties if you are wrong.
- Learn how to properly account for sales and wire services.
- How to structure your financial statements so they are more valuable
This presentation will help you...
- evaluate your current trajectory
- avoid the most common pitfalls
- develop a plan for success
Bring your laptop and be prepared to take notes and ask questions as Derrick, Mark, and Ryan help steer you to a more profitable future!
Ways to Improve Your Bottom Line
Presented by Mark Anderson
Sponsored by FloristWare
Sunday March 4, 9:00 a.m.-10:00 a.m.
River Overlook Room F
Using a workshop approach and the Beyond Cost Plus model Mark will help you develop a plan you can put in place as soon as you get back to your shop. We'll look at the five most powerful tools in the modern revenue management utility belt and explore at each of them can be used to increase sales AND profits in the retail floral industry.
We're excited to be involved in both of these sessions. The first will be a close-and-lock-the-door affair where the three presenters get right into the details about what can make or break a shop, much of which runs contrary to popular, generally accepted floral industry wisdom. The second session shows florists how they can take advantage of developments in value based pricing.